If you want to move your WordPress site from one host to another, you need to follow some steps to ensure a smooth and successful migration. Here are the main steps you need to take:
- Backup your site files and database. You can use a plugin like UpdraftPlus or Duplicator to create a backup of your site and download it to your computer.
- Create a new database on your new host. You can use the cPanel or phpMyAdmin to create a new database and a user with full privileges.
- Upload your site files and database to your new host. You can use an FTP client like FileZilla or Cyberduck to upload your site files to the public_html folder of your new host. Then, you can use phpMyAdmin to import your database backup to the new database you created.
- Update your site URL and database connection details. You can use a plugin like Better Search Replace or WP Migrate DB to update your site URL and replace the old database connection details with the new ones.
- Test your site and fix any issues. You can use a plugin like Really Simple SSL to enable HTTPS on your site if needed. You can also check for broken links, images, and plugins and fix them accordingly.
- Change your domain name servers (DNS). You can use a service like Cloudflare or your domain registrar to point your domain name to the new host’s nameservers. This will make your site accessible from the new host.
- Delete your site files and database from your old host. You can use an FTP client or cPanel to delete your site files and database from your old host. This will free up some space and prevent any confusion or conflicts.
Congratulations, you have successfully migrated your WordPress site from one host to another!